Loneliness in numbers:
– One in four Australians are lonely.
– One in two (50.5 per cent) Australians feel lonely for at least one day in a week, while one in four (27.6 per cent) feel lonely for three or more days.
– Nearly 55 per cent of the population feel they lack companionship at least sometimes.
– Australians who are married or in a de facto relationship are the least lonely, compared to those who are single, separated or divorced.
– Lonely Australians have significantly worse health status (both physical and mental).
– Australians aged more than 65 are the least lonely.
– Young adults report significantly more social discomfort than older Australians.
Tips to connect with others:
– Think positive
– Listen well
– Go offline
– Chat to strangers
– Join in
(Source: The Australian Loneliness Report and Australian Psychology Society)